Edward Bullock 1863 - 1916

Edward Bullock was born on 31 October 1863 to Edward & Eliza Bullock in Cowsden, Upton Snodsbury in Worcestershire.  His father was a farmer of 180 acres and also a maltster and publican at the Royal Oak, Upton Snodsbury.


At the age of 16 Edward became a confectioner’s apprentice baker, lodging at 12 Mansell Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, with John and Sarah Wright.


By 1891 he was at 56 Broad Street, Worcester, as a confectioner and baker with his sister Mary as his assistant.  In 1896 aged 33 he married Fanny Maria Cother of Blockley, Worcestershire.  By 1901 they had moved to the Fox Inn at Sale Green near Droitwich where he was the publican.  Daughter Gertrude was born in Worcester in 1898, and son Alfred was born at Sale Green in 1899.


Edward and Fanny had moved to 44 HIGH STREET Droitwich by 1905, having taken over the bakery business of Charles Smith.  They also developed a café and tearooms.

Edward died on 27 September 1916 at the age of 49 and was interred in the graveyard at St Mary de Witton. Fanny had moved to 28 Oakley Street, Droitwich and died on 16 June 1928 aged 52.  She was interred with her husband.  The inscription on the gravestone says “In loving memory of Edward Bullock” and “Also of his beloved wife. At Rest”


Alfred Bullock 1899 - 1982

Alfred was the son of Edward & Fanny Bullock and was born at the Fox Inn, Sale Green near Droitwich in 1899.

He moved with his parents to 44 HIGH STREET, where there was a living room with a kitchen behind the shop and three bedrooms and a playroom upstairs.

Alfred never wanted to come into the family business but had a desire to go to New Zealand, where he had relatives. 

Upon the death of his father in 1916 Alfred was obliged to enter the business to help his mother Fanny.  Alfred was serving in the Fleet Air Arm at the time of his father’s death and was subsequently demobilised in order to support his mother.

Between the wars he worked up quite a good business with wheelchair hire, as there were many visitors to the town taking the brine baths.  He enjoyed this extra activity a great deal.


He married Gertrude Rose Everton on 23 September 1925 at St Andrew’s Church in Droitwich. 

Gertrude was the fourth daughter of John and Mary Everton of Victoria Avenue, Witton. 

John’s occupation was a businessman employing a number of men in the house decorating sector.  He also owned a large area of land in Victoria Avenue and King George Avenue.

Alfred and Gertrude’s first three daughters were born in 1926, 1930 and 1935.

Upon his mother’s death in 1928 Alfred continued to carry on the trade at 44 HIGH STREET and by 1930 had taken over 46 HIGH STREET and expanded the tearoom into the impressive timber frame building next door

During World War II the cafe’s opening hours were extended to accommodate the forces stationed in Droitwich: the Officer Cadet Training Unit, the Free French, the ATS and the Americans. 

Alfred with his wife and family moved to live in Corbett Avenue in 1945 but continued with the business in 44 & 46 High Street.  The living accommodation at 44 High Street was then rented to tenants.

In the late 40s, 50s and 60s the High Street was the hub of Droitwich and the shop was a hive of industry.  All members of the family joined in, whatever the generation.  The whole premises;  the shop, the cafe, later a licensed restaurant and the bake house all came together as a thriving unit.  Alfred and his wife appreciated the loyalty of the staff, who worked very hard in a demanding environment.

Alfred’s pork pies were well known all over the country and many were posted every week to numerous destinations.  This fame spread to the boiled hams, many of which were cooked each day.  The bakers worked relentlessly to provide the bread and confectionery needed.  Often Alfred would stand in if a baker could not come to work and although not trained he turned out beautiful loaves of bread.

On Christmas morning, along with his family turkey, he would cook half the town’s turkeys in his large oven for the local people.   When they came to collect them he would toss a coin to see if they had to pay one shilling or two!!  He got a lot of fun out of this and it was not a problem as the ovens had to be kept hot all the time.

Alfred decided to sell the business in 1970, after having had an operation.  Gertrude died in the same year.  He later sold the business to Mr & Mrs Abbey. 

He passed away on 23 January 1982 aged 82 and both his and his wife’s ashes were strewn in the grounds of Worcester Crematorium.



Bullock Family’s own family research and memoirs

1881, 1891, 1901 & 1911 Census