Edward Bullock was born on 31 October 1863 to Edward
& Eliza Bullock in Cowsden, Upton Snodsbury in Worcestershire.His father was a farmer of 180 acres and also
a maltster and publican at the Royal Oak, Upton Snodsbury.
At the age of 16 Edward became a confectioner’s
apprentice baker, lodging at 12 Mansell Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, with John
and Sarah Wright.
By 1891 he was at 56 Broad Street,
Worcester, as a confectioner and baker with his
sister Mary as his assistant.In 1896
aged 33 he married Fanny Maria Cother of Blockley, Worcestershire.By 1901 they had moved to the Fox Inn at Sale
Green near Droitwich where he was the publican.Daughter Gertrude was born in Worcester in 1898, and son Alfred was born
at Sale Green in 1899.
Edward and Fanny
had moved to 44 HIGH STREET Droitwich by 1905,
having taken over the bakery business of Charles Smith. They also developed a café and tearooms.
Edward died on 27 September 1916 at the age of 49 and was
interred in the graveyard at St Mary de Witton. Fanny had moved to 28 Oakley
Street, Droitwich and died on 16 June 1928 aged 52. She was interred with her husband. The inscription on the gravestone says “In loving memory of Edward Bullock” and “Also of his
beloved wife. At Rest”
Alfred Bullock 1899 - 1982
Alfred was the son of Edward & Fanny Bullock and was
born at the Fox Inn, Sale Green near Droitwich in 1899.
He moved with his parents to 44 HIGH STREET, where there was a living room with a kitchen
behind the shop and three bedrooms and a playroom upstairs.
Alfred never wanted to come into the family
business but had a desire to go to New Zealand,
where he had relatives.
Upon the death
of his father in 1916 Alfred was obliged to enter the business to help his
mother Fanny. Alfred was serving in the
Fleet Air Arm at the time of his father’s death and was subsequently
demobilised in order to support his mother.
Between the wars he worked up quite a good business with
wheelchair hire, as there were many visitors to the town taking the brine
baths. He enjoyed this extra activity a
He married Gertrude Rose Everton on 23 September 1925 at
St Andrew’s Church in Droitwich.
Gertrude was the fourth daughter of John and Mary Everton of Victoria
John’s occupation was a
businessman employing a number of men in the house decorating sector. He also owned a large area of land in
Victoria Avenue and King George Avenue.
Alfred and Gertrude’s first three
daughters were born in 1926, 1930 and 1935.
Upon his mother’s death in 1928 Alfred continued to carry on the trade at 44 HIGH STREET and by 1930 had taken over 46 HIGH STREET and expanded the tearoom into the impressive timber frame building next door
During World War II the cafe’s opening hours were
extended to accommodate the forces stationed in Droitwich: the Officer Cadet Training Unit, the Free French, the ATS and the
Alfred with his wife and family moved to live in Corbett Avenue in 1945 but continued with the business in 44 & 46 High Street. The living accommodation at 44 High Street was then rented to tenants.
In the late 40s, 50s and 60s
the High Street was the hub of Droitwich and the shop was a hive of
industry. All members of the family
joined in, whatever the generation. The whole premises; the shop, the cafe, later a licensed restaurant
and the bake house all came together as a thriving unit. Alfred and his wife appreciated the loyalty
of the staff, who worked very hard in a
Alfred’s pork pies were well known all over the country and many were posted every week to numerous destinations. This fame spread to the boiled hams, many of which were cooked each day. The bakers worked relentlessly to provide the bread and confectionery needed. Often Alfred would stand in if a baker could not come to work and although not trained he turned out beautiful loaves of bread.
On Christmas morning, along with his family turkey, he would cook half the town’s turkeys in his large oven for the local people. When they came to collect them he would toss a coin to see if they had to pay one shilling or two!! He got a lot of fun out of this and it was not a problem as the ovens had to be kept hot all the time.
Alfred decided to sell the business in 1970, after having had an operation. Gertrude died in the same year. He later sold the business to Mr & Mrs Abbey.
He passed away on 23 January 1982 aged 82 and both his and his wife’s ashes were strewn in the grounds of Worcester Crematorium.