15 High Street (St Andrew's Parish)

This is the central third of a larger timber-framed structure built in 1513 opposite St Andrew's church and the market held there, so in a prime commercial position.  Displaying highly decorative carved timbers on its street frontage and with substantial oak timber trusses inside, it was a two storey 'terrace' which was probably always 3 separate properties, likely to have had retail space and storage in the ground floor and accommodation above. The first floor was jettied, projecting out over the street wall of the ground floor, like many timber frame buildings in the town, but probably open internally to the roof to show off the impressive timbers of the upper parts of the trusses.

Three decorative painting schemes were applied to the first floor chamber of No. 15 between the early 16th century and the late 17th century. 

The western part of the structure (No. 13) was incorporated into the Star and Garter public house at some point (the Star and Garter is mentioned in written records from the 1740s), and the eastern part (No. 17) retains a lot of visible timber-framing at ground floor level.  

A serious fire damaged a large proportion of the roof timbers and the timber-framing at first floor level in Nos. 15 and 17 at an unknown date, but before the 18th century modernisation. 

In the mid or late 18th century, the street frontage timber-framing was removed and replaced with a brick wall and Georgian style windows, giving another more modern unified frontage to the whole building (Nos. 13-17), with a parapet extending above the eaves.  The first floor chambers of both No. 15 and No. 17 were updated, with ceilings probably inserted at this time (although that may have occurred earlier) and the walls covered in lath and plaster.  The roof of both was also altered, and some of the fire-damaged timbers replaced. 

Dendrochronology (tree-ring dating) has given us the first date of construction, while the ongoing access over 3 years by a professional building historian has provided much information about the building's history and enabled a substantially complete picture of its architectural development. 

Documentary research has added to the picture and enabled us to put names to the owners and some occupiers back into the second decade of the 1700s. 

The survival of this building is very welcome.  We are very grateful to the current owner, Andrew Brooker-Carey, who has devoted immense time and resources to the recent repairs and allowed ongoing access for the project's experts, and is always enthusiastic when welcoming visitors to the building.

Click on the links below to see more detail about the various time periods

C18th-C19th: 1700-1899

C16th-C17th: 1500-1699

Click on the icons below to access more information about this building